Frequently Asked Questions
Every dollar counts and will make a difference in the fight against muscular dystrophy!
2009 What Your Dollars Will Buy
$30 Flu Shot
$80 One minute of research
$100 One support group session
$150 One physical, occupational or respiratory therapy consultation
$300 Professional fees related to initial diagnostic work-up at an MDA clinic
$500 Assists one person for one year with the repair of a wheelchair, leg braces or communication device
$800 Sends one child to MDA summer camp
* 77 percent of every dollar MDA spends goes directly to research, services and education, the rest to fundraising and administration.
* MDA spends $70 a minute in its worldwide research program, supporting some 300 projects worldwide.
* MDA maintains a nationwide network of 200 clinics, including more than 40 MDA/ALS centers.
* MDA clinics are staffed by teams of top health professionals skilled in the diagnosis and medical management of muscular dystrophy and related diseases. Services provided at MDA clinics may include occupational therapy, selected diagnostic tests, genetic counseling, respiratory therapy and more.
* MDA annually sponsors nearly 80 weeklong summer camp sessions, serving some 3,500 children across the country and in Puerto Rico. More than 4,300 volunteers give a week of their time to serve as MDA camp counselors and medical staff.
< Return to MDA Main Page