Sometimes what wine to pair with that special meal can be very intimidating. STL Wine Girl Angela Ortmann joined us today to explain the four P's of wine selection.
PAIRING - don't order your bottle before you've chosen what you are going to eat.
PRICE - it's ok to know what you are (and are NOT) willing to spend.
PRONUNCIATION - don't be shy just because you are unsure how to pronounce a wine, embrace the learning experience.
PROCESS - I will demonstrate and walk through what the server is doing and why and what you should be doing and why.
"Etiquette" of corkage
- only bring a bottle if
1) it has sentimental value
2) is a style or varietal unavailable on the list
3) the price or age of the wine is not available
- be prepared to pay a corkage fee ($10 - $25).
- let the restaurant know ahead of time that you plan to bring your own wine (i.e. when you make your reservation).
- tip on either the price the wine would be on the list or on the "average" price of a bottle on the list
- offer to share a taste of the wine with your server, the sommelier and/or the manager out of respect, gratitude and courtesy.
- a good rule of thumb is also to purchase one bottle off the list for every bottle you bring in.
For more advice visit www.stlwinegirl.com