My Plate for the Heart
This meal contains 15 ingredients that are heart healthy & it can be made in just 30 minutes! Registered Dietitian Liz Erker with Signature Medical Group recommends people fill their plates with foods that span the colors of the rainbow. This recipe does just that! It's colorful and meets the needs of a heart healthy diet.
- Salmon with Red Velvet Salsa
- Barley Date Walnut Pilaf
- Steamed Broccoli
- Apple Slaw
- 2-3 ounce fillets of salmon
Red Velvet Relish:
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup avocado, dices
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- One dash of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ½ apple, cut into strips
- 3 baby carrots, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- Drizzle of Apple Cider Vinegar
Barley Date Walnut Pilaf:
- ½ cup quick cooking barley
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Place salmon in shallow dish with a bit of water. Bake at 350 degrees until done. (20 minutes)
- Pilaf - place barley, water, chopped dates & chopped walnuts in a rice cooker & cook for 15 minutes. You may also do this on the stovetop in a pan.
- Relish - cut tomatoes into quarters & mix them gently with the diced avocado, parsley, oil and lemon juice.
- Apple Slaw - mix the apple & carrot sticks with yogurt. Toss lightly.
Liz Erker is a Registered Dietitian through the American Dietetic Association and has earned a Master's of Science in Nutrition from St. Louis University. In 2008, she joined Signature Medical Group and has been leading numerous patients to a healthier lifestyle through nutrition consulting, coaching and education.
Her office is located in the City Place 5 building at 845 N New Ballas Road, Suite 200 in St. Louis, Missouri. To reach Liz Erker, R.D. call 314-983-4700 ext. 1906. For more information on Liz Erker and to get more nutritional tips visit www.SignatureMedicalGroup.com.