St. Louis (KSDK) - Ameren is warning customers to be on the lookout for a scammers trying to illegally obtain Social Security numbers.
Ameren said the Better Business Bureau reports the scam claims President Barack Obama is applying payments or credits up to $1,500 to the customer's utility bill, which is not true. The scammers ask the customers to make a payment today using a bank routing number supplied by the scammers and the number on the back of their Social Security cards as the bank account number. The bank routing number is actually fake and cannot be used to pay a utility bill.
According to reports, scammers have visited customers in person, posted fliers and used social media and texting to contact customers.
Ameren said it is notifying customers who have been scammed.
If an Ameren customer suspects he or she may have been scammed, contact Customer Service in Illinois at 800-755-5000 or Missouri at 800-552-7583.
Ameren offers these tips against scammers:
• Never give your credit card, debit card, Social Security, ATM, checking or saving account numbers to anyone who comes to your home, calls or sends an email requesting this information.
• If a caller claims to be an Ameren representative and asks for immediate payment over the phone or requests other personal information, hang up and call 800.755.5000 in Illinois or, 800.552.7583 in Missouri.
• Never allow anyone into your home who wants to check your electrical wiring, natural gas pipes or appliances unless you have scheduled an appointment or have reported a natural gas leak and the person has proper identification.
• Photo identification is carried by every Ameren employee and includes name, employee number and an official Ameren logo.
• If you suspect someone is impersonating an Ameren employee, end the conversation and immediately call your local police and then Ameren Illinois, 800.755.5000, or Ameren Missouri, 800.552.7583.