Madison County, IL (KSDK) - The Madison County Sheriff's Office is investigating numerous complaints of air conditioning thefts this year in Godfrey, Illinois.
Since February 10, 2012, police have received 19 reports of air conditioning theft.
The thefts are from both business and residential properties.
Authorities have compiled a list of suspicious vehicles seen in the area shortly before the thefts. They are described as: green colored pick-up truck, a dark-colored four-door passenger car, and a gray newer-model Chrysler Town and Country van.
When the green truck was reported as suspicious, witnesses saw two men on a roof of an area business.
Police have contacted persons of interest, but interviews are ongoing.
Local scrap yard transactions are currently being reviewed for possible leads.
Undercover investigations in the area are also being conducted in an attempt to apprehend the suspect or suspects.
The Madison County Sheriff's Office gives these tips to help prevent air conditioning thefts:
- Secure the power disconnect box for the air conditioning unit with a padlock
- Add lighting around the location of the unit
- Replace the hex head screws on the top of the unit with one-way or tamper-resistant screws
- Install alarms or theft sensors
- Secure the unit with a cage or fence
- Keep gates to the backyard or business property locked
- Remove or secure ladders in the area so the roof cannot be accessed
- Always report suspicious activity
Anyone with information regarding the thefts should call the anonymous tip line at 618-296-3000, the 24 hour dispatch line at 618-692-4433, or the investigation line at 618-692-0871.