Springfield man shot dead during shootout

12:18 PM, Feb 22, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

By Springfield News-Leader staff    

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - A man involved in a shootout that injured a Springfield police detective this morning has died at the scene, according to police.

The detective was grazed by a bullet while serving a search warrant at 2506 West Grand, but the detective returned fire and struck a suspect, authorities say.

At 11:30 a.m., authorities confirmed the suspect was dead, and a source involved in the case said the man's body was lying outside the house. Two other people were taken in for questioning. A police camera robot was used to examine the scene and surrounding buildings.

Repeated bouts of gunfire were heard around 8:30 a.m. near a residence at 2506 West Grand, as police evacuated people and media from the scene and ordered others to stay in their homes.

Police Lt. Ben King said at a news conference the detective was not wearing a protective vest, but was grazed by a bullet and was later treated at the scene.

After the initial shots were fired, King said a suspect later emerged from the house and there was a second exchange of gunfire.

A police command center has been established north of where the shooting occurred. Numerous officers armed with assault rifles were on the scene, staying behind buildings as the situation developed.
A log indicates police were called to the Grand Street address at 2:25 a.m. to "check person." It's not immediately clear if that call is related to this morning's shooting.

However, one person interviewed at the scene who was reluctant to give her name said there were a handful of police in the area since about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.

About 6:15 a.m., this witness heard police on a bullhorn say, "Come out with your hands up." Then, a man reportedly screamed back, "I didn't do anything."

About 7 a.m., this witness saw police move toward the house and, sometime afterward, shooting began.

As the event unfolded, News-Leader reporter Kathryn Wall said she and photo editor Dean Curtis were evacuated into a building after the second round of gunfire near the house at about 8:30 a.m. They were later forced by police to move out the back of the building, farther away from the gunfire.

Laurie Cole, resident of The Lodges, also said shots rang out at about 8:30 this morning.

She said the shots came in rapid succession. She estimated the volleys went on for about a minute.

More than 30 police officers responded to the scene, some armed with rifles.

At one point, a large number of officers were creating an arc along Grand Street, in defensive crouches behind vehicles and buildings.

One group of officers was huddled behind a commercial building on the north side of that building, trying to stay out of a potential line of fire.

C.S. Lindsey, the owner of a nearby mobile home community, said she has called police repeatedly about problems at the green structure. It wasn't immediately clear if it is a warehouse or residence.

"Many, many, many times I've called the police about them," Lindsey said. "It's been nothing but trouble."

Springfield News-Leader

Most Watched Videos