LIVE VIDEO: Today in St. Louis    Watch
 

Gas leak sends 28 students to hospital

8:37 AM, Jan 15, 2013   |    comments
Credit: AP/file.
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - More than two dozen students have spent the night in a hospital after carbon monoxide leaked at their Nashville private school.

Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.

After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school, where the kindergarten and first-grade classes are located.

Twenty-eight students were admitted to the hospital and put on oxygen overnight. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Associated Press

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos