Fort Zumwalt West Middle School
O'FALLON, Mo (KSDK) - Two Catholic schools in O'Fallon, Missouri have decided to cancel classes Friday after the discovery of a threat found on social media Thursday.
The Archdiocese of St. Louis said the threat was made on Instagram and involved Assumption in O'Fallon and Immaculate Conception in Dardenne Prairie.
O'Fallon police said it started with a phone call from a parent who said the social media site of a relative had been hacked and there was mention of explosives at two schools.
Police went to the schools with bomb-sniffing dogs and checked them out. They found nothing.
An official with the O'Fallon Police Department tells NewsChannel 5 all evidence leads them to believe the threat is not credible, but they did inform three schools of their findings. The two Catholic schools made an independent decision to cancel classed while the third school chose to maintain their normal schedule.
Fort Zumwalt West Middle School stayed open but had an increase in police patrols.
The Archdiocese of St. Louis confirmed that Assumption and Immaculate Conception schools made the decision to cancel classes as a precaution.
Parents and faculty of the two Catholic schools were informed early Friday via a message sent by email and telephone to announce the cancellation and the threat that was being investigated.
Both the Archdiocese released a statement Friday morning:
"In the late evening on Thursday, April 18, 2013, the Archdiocese of St. Louis learned of a bomb threat made on the social media site, Instagram, which involved a direct threat to two parish schools, Assumption in O'Fallon and Immaculate Conception in Dardenne Prairie. The local authorities were notified immediately and are handling this matter. Everything is under control at both locations; however, the parishes have decided to close their schools for the day as a safety precaution. Anyone with information about this situation is encouraged to contact the O'Fallon Police Department."