LIVE VIDEO: NewsChannel 5 at Noon    Watch
 

Gloria Chubb finds frog in can of green beans

8:04 PM, Apr 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

By Judi Lykowski

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Indiana (WBND/CNN) - An Indiana woman bought a can of green beans on sale for 69 cents, and what she found inside will keep her and her family from ever eating canned green beans again.

"We eat a lot of green beans. We do. We did. Nobody wants anymore now," said Gloria Chubb.

Gloria, a retired nurse, is disgusted by what she served up at the dinner table for her and her son.

"It was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans," she said.

It was what was in the can of Meijer green beans that made them both lose their appetite.

"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact," said Gloria.

You heard her right.

"I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave. I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon," said Gloria.

In fact, Gloria took all of her unopened cans back to Meijer, and they gave her a refund.

She took the frog and the questionable can to the St. Joseph County Health Department. The Health Department took photos of the frog. Gloria alerted them because she wants to warn others who may be in a rush preparing dinner like she was that day.

Rita Hooten, food service director at the St. Joseph County Health Department, said the next step was to send the toad and can down to the Indiana State Department of Health.

"And they do the investigation since it's a wholesale manufactured product," said Hooten.

The Indiana State Department of Health concluded the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin.

"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process," said Hooten.

"I don't know how they didn't see it I wonder if it's the only one?" said Gloria.

The consumer specialist who compiled the report says it likely isn't. He says factory canning is a fast paced business sometime moving 300 cans through per minute.

Last week, Gloria got an apology letter from the canning company along with $50.

As for Meijer, they sent WBND-TV a statement via email that reads, "We sincerely regret this customer's experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident."

"I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables. I mean anything can happen you know but a whole frog?" said Gloria.

The Indiana State Department of Health says the most common rodent or insect found in canned veggies are toads, mice and grass hopers, and if you think by buying frozen you get around this, you are wrong.

WBND/CNN

Most Watched Videos