Imperial house fire displaces two families

1:41 PM, Nov 25, 2009   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

By Sharon Stevens Education Reporter

KSDK -- Multiple fire departments in Jefferson County battled to save a home overnight in Imperial and to keep the fire from spreading to a second home.

Firefighters from Imperial, Antonio and the Rock Community Fire District fought a fire at a home on Windswept Drive for more than an hour. They backed down when they determined everyone made it out. They turned their attention to neighboring residence that was slightly damaged from the intense heat.

Two adults in one house and two adults with four children in the other home were displaced, but they made it out safely.
Bob and Cindy Hunter lived in their home for 26 years. It was the home that suffered the most damage.

Bob Hunter said, "We smelled smoke. We went into the kitchen and it was real smoky. We opened the garage door and the entire garage was engulfed in flames."

Flames spread to the house next door but the damage wasn't as serious.

Fire officials believe the fire started in the garage, but the investigation continues.

The Hunters had planned to serve thanksgiving dinner. Their plans have changed, but they are thankful to be alive.

The American Red Cross offered food, clothing and shelter to both families.

The Hunters say they'll rebuild. For now, they are staying with family and friends.


Most Watched Videos