LIVE VIDEO: Today in St. Louis    Watch

Daniel Brennan found shot in St. Charles, dies

9:45 PM, Jul 14, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • Daniel Brennan.

By Ann Rubin

St. Charles, Mo. (KSDK) -- The St. Charles Police Department released the name of a Wentzville man who was shot in his car and died.

The Major Case Squad is investigating the murder of 23-year-old Daniel Christopher Brennan.

Police said they approached a vehicle because it was not moving in the southbound lanes along the Cave Springs overpass near a Denny's off Interstate 70 Tuesday night.

When an officer looked into the car, he found Brennan had been shot.  He later died a few hours later at a nearby hospital.  He briefly regained consciousness at the hospital, just long enough to tell police what had happened.

According to witnesses, it may have started as a robbery attempt and shooting at the Sunbrook Apartments.

"I looked down the stairs and saw two police officers and the other two parked over there. And I was like, 'okay, something happened,'" said resident Justin Miller.

The family said they were told Brennan was killed after a robbery.  He had just left a party in St. Charles and was shot in the back while in the apartment's parking lot.  Brennan attempted to drive himself to the hospital but passed out.

Authorities said they're looking for at least two persons of interest in this case.  And they say they're making good progress.

"Just that he'd been shot. And he was drifting in and out of consciousness and that's the only information they could get from him," said Lt. Mike Akers.

A spokesperson with the Wentzville School District tells NewsChannel 5 that Brennan was a 2005 graduate of Timberland High School.  He also attended St. Charles Community College.

Brennan's family and friends called him "Big Dan," because he was tall -- 6'7".  Visitation and funeral services will be held at the Stygar Funeral Home at Mid Rivers Mall.  The visitation is scheduled for Sunday from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.  The funeral takes place the following day at 11 a.m.

Investigators with the Major Case Squad said they're following every lead to solve this murder. 

"I think we're very close," said Lt. Akers.

Those that live nearby certainly hope so.  They say what happened has everyone on edge. 

"I was scared to come out to my car this morning when I had to get up and go to school," said resident Lyndsey Bateman.

Miller added, "Nobody wants to have that happen right in front of their house.  We thought we were pretty safe here and then this happens. Now it's got us both kinda wondering."

Anyone with information in reference to this case is asked to contact the Major Case Squad at 636-949-3564 or you can remain anonymous by calling the CrimeStoppers Hotline at 636-949-3333.



Most Watched Videos