Benghazi attack. (Photo credit STR/AFP/GettyImages)
Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY
A man suspected of involvement in the deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, last month has been killed in a clash with security forces in Cairo.
The BBC, quoting Egyptian officials, says the man, identified only as Hazem, was killed early Wednesday after an exchange of fire with security forces in Madinet Nasr, a Cairo suburb.
According to the Egyptian officials, Hazem was cornered in an apartment and tried to throw a bomb at security forces, but the explosive device bounced back. CBS News reports that the man blew himself up during the clash.
Hazem's burned body was found in the apartment, along with weapons and explosive materials, the BBC reports.
An Egyptian official told the Associated Press the man recently returned from Libya and kept weapons in his hideout.
In a related event, Ai Harzi, a Tunisian man arrested recently in Turkey, also reportedly is being accused of involvement in the Benghazi attack in which U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died Sept. 11.
Harzi was arrested in Turkey and repatriated to Tunisia Oct. 11.
A person who saw Harzi's court dossier told the AP that the file links him to the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate.
In Tunisia, Harzi's lawyer Ouled Ali Anwar said his client was informed by a judge Tuesday that he has been charged with "membership of a terrorist organization in a time of peace in another country."
CBS news quote an unidentified U.S. intelligence official as being cautious about possible ties between the Tunisian suspect and the Benghazi attack, saying that the Tunisians have so far not allowed American officials to interview him.