Henry Chambers convicted for armed robbery, police chase

3:51 PM, Oct 2, 2012   |    comments
Henry Chambers
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Edwardsville, IL (KSDK) - A 21-year-old Alorton man was convicted Tuesday in an armed robbery case dating back to November 2010, the Madison County State's Attorney's Office said.

According to court documents, officers in Granite City responded to calls of a stolen vehicle involving a 2010 Chevy Cobalt. The man behind the wheel, identified as Henry Chambers, led police on a high-speed chase along Route 203.

Henry Chambers topped 95 miles per hour in a 45 mph zone before crashing at the Interstate 55/70 entrance. Chambers was found guilty of armed robbery, attempted armed robbery and aggravated fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer.

Chambers had two co-conspirators with him in the stolen car at the time: 29-year-old Montrell Brownlee and 31-year-old Damond Jones. They were both charged for being in a stolen vehicle with Chambers. In exchange for their testimony in Chambers' case, their charges were dismissed as evidence showing they were not involved in the crime and cooperated with police.

Meanwhile, Chambers faces between 6 and 30 years in prison on the armed robbery charge, 4 to 15 years on the attempted armed robbery charge, and 1 to 3 years on the fleeing charge. He will be sentenced at a later date.

In April 2012, Henry Chambers was charged with battery to a peace officer after getting into a fight with a fellow inmate at the Madison County Jail.

The first deputy to respond to the fight saw Chambers punching another inmate n the face. As the deputy tried to separate the inmates, Chambers pulled away and told the deputy not to touch him. As the deputy tried to gain control of the situation, Chambers pushed him to the ground, and continued to physically resist other responding deputies' efforts to control him.

Chambers was placed in a segregated cell, and an investigation revealed Chambers attacked the inmate without provocation.

The deputy was not seriously injured. The inmate that was attacked was treated for facial swelling and bleeding but declined to press charges.

Bond was set at $30,000 in that case.


Most Watched Videos