Mike Brehm, USA TODAY Sports
The NHL has pulled its latest proposal off the table on Friday as the lockout hit its 41st day.
"The proposal was made on the basis of being able to play a full 82-game season," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said by email. "That opportunity is now no longer available to us."
The NHL also is expected to announce another round of canceled games on Friday. It already had canceled games through Nov. 1.
Mathieu Schneider, special assistant to NHL Players' Association executive director Donald Fehr, said players were disappointed by the league's decision to pull the offer.
"I don't think this is something that moves the process forward," he told the NHLPA website. "I think it's something that hinders it. There have been a number of artificial deadlines set throughout these negotiations, and we're going to continue to work through this to try to break the logjam."
The league had held out the possibility of a full 82-game season, starting Nov. 2, but that was based on a deal being reached by Thursday. That day passed without any negotiations as the league rejected the NHL Players' Association's request to hold talks without preconditions.
Last week, the NHL Players Association turned down the league's offer of a 50-50 split in revenues, plus a method to "make whole" lost pay early in the six-year deal by deferring payments. It also came down from its original proposals on contract rules, though nearly all of them are less than what players have now.
The union responded with three proposals designed to safeguard existing contracts while gradually lowering the revenue split to 50-50. The league quickly rejected all three on Oct. 18, the last time that face-to-face talks were held.
"It's been take, take, take on the owners' side and give, give, give from the players' side," Schneider said. "There's got to be a line somewhere and the players have drawn it."
USA TODAY SPORTS